Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve most likely heard of Youtube. You may have even uploaded a video or two, or may you’re a business owner and you’ve uploaded videos but not really sure about the potential YT really has at the end of the day. Here are some interesting facts about the video sharing platform.
YouTube is a video-sharing website that is headquartered in San Bruno, California. This service was founded by 3 former PayPal employees in February 2005. Later in November 2006, it was bought by Google for around US$1.65 billion. Since its inception, it is one of social media channels that allows people to display their ideas and express themselves.
Video makers can earn lots of money through advertising by YouTube’s partner program, a scheme that is aimed at the regular video uploader who can fetch big audiences. This means you can share in the revenue that is generated when people view the uploaded videos. Partners first have to agree with YouTube allowing adverts being placed alongside and within their videos. They then earn money based on the views and how many visitors click on the advertisements. Pre-roll adverts i.e. those short annoying adverts we must watch before the videos start playing are particularly very lucrative because advertisers are willing to pay even more.
Have you ever wondered how numerous hours of video are uploaded into YouTube every 10 seconds? Or how numerous billions of beauty tutorials, cat videos or music videos are watched every month. To give some perspective on what YouTube has unleashed here are the latest YouTube facts;
- YouTube attracts more than a billion users.
- Every day we spend millions of hours on YouTube and billions of views are produced.
- The number of hours we are watching on YouTube every month has gone up 50% every year.
- 300 hours of videos are uploaded into YouTube every minute.
- 60% of a creators’ views come from out of their home countries.
- YouTube is present in 75 countries and is available in over 61 languages.
- YouTube have greater HD format content than any other online video sites.
- There are thousands of full length movies found on YouTube.
- 10% of all YouTube videos are available in HD format.
- The YouTube mobile application gets around 600 million views each day.
- The YouTube player is embedded onto millions of different websites.
- People watch about 6 Billion hours of video on YouTube every month.
- YouTube had 153 million distinct U.S. visitors in July 2014.
- 300 hours of video are uploaded into YouTube every minute.
Mobile and Second Screen statistics.
- 40% of all YouTube views are generated from mobile devices.
- Mobile-generated revenue on YouTube goes up by over 100% every year.
- Traffic from mobile phones tripled in the year 2011.
- 27% of US visitors have access to YouTube from their smartphones.
- 42% of YouTube views from mobile devices are made through Android devices.
Top marketing statistics
- Product reviews do perform quite well on YouTube. Digital product retailers realized that 47% of their secondary channel orders originate from the YouTube views. Other industries with strong YouTube performance indices are auto motives at 26%, services at 36% and merchandise at 29%.
- YouTube hold a 21% share of the U.S. video advertisement market.
- U.S based advertisers spent $1.2 billion on YouTube advertisements in 2014, completely dominating its competitors in the $5 billion worth industry.
- YouTube based marketing has a remarkable 1.16% conversion rate.
- Amongst the 200 most subscribed to YouTube channels, only one of them is connected to a major retail brand. The brand is Red Bull and its channel is composed entirely of sponsored extreme sports videos with almost no commercial content at all.
- More than a million creators from about 30 countries earn money generated from their YouTube views.
- 75% of the YouTube in-stream advertisements can now be skipped.
- Advertisers are estimated to have spent about $5.60 billion to YouTube in the year 2013.
- YouTube videos have influence on the purchasing decisions of 53% of all U.S. consumers.
- Major brands only upload 3% of the 14.9 billion beauty related views present on YouTube.
- Millions of channels in many countries earn revenue from the YouTube Partner Program, and thousands of channels make six figures salaries per year.
- YouTube has monetized over 3 billion video views every week throughout the whole globe.
- YouTube have invested millions of dollars into Content ID their copyright management system.
- Since 2007 YouTube have paid $1 billion to its partner chose to monetize their claims using Content ID system.
- 80% of all YouTube traffic comes from out of the U.S.
- There are 60 million YouTube subscribers present in China.
- 90 million views are generated from Saudi Arabia every day.
- Japan has six million YouTube subscribers.
Social media facts.
- The growth of social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter accelerated the rise of YouTube as it enabled the discovery and sharing of online videos.
- About 500 years of YouTube videos are watched every day on the Facebook platform.
- Over 700 YouTube views are shared through Twitter every minute.
- 100 million persons take social actions on YouTube through likes, comments and shares, comments every week
- Auto-shared tweet result in six new youtube.com sessions on an average.
- There are about 500 tweets every minute containing YouTube links.
- On average, millions of YouTube subscriptions take place daily.
- More than 50% of YouTube videos have ratings and have comments from the community.
- Millions of videos are favorited daily.
- YouTube have more monthly visitors than either Twitter or Facebook. Even though Facebook still does reign supreme in terms of the user accounts, only about 76% of online adults use the site monthly. Twitter holds an even smaller market share, with only 40 percent of online adults signing in every month. As for YouTube roughly 85 percent of adult internet users do visit the site at least once per month, which results in about 1 billion distinct visitors.
The YouTube Partner Program
- Founded in the year 2007, the YouTube partner program now boasts more than 30,000 partners from over 27 countries all around the world.
- YouTube does pay out millions of dollars each and every year to its partners under the program.
- The Partner revenue has doubled for 4 years in a row.
YouTube created this technology to help in the detection of uploaded videos that infringe copyrights in 2007. Content ID technology does this by creating an ID File for the copyrighted video and audio material and then feeds it into a storage database. When videos get uploaded, they are checked against this database which leads to flagging of the videos as a copyright violation in the case whereby matches are found. When this does occur, the content owners have to make the choice of blocking the videos making it un-viewable, to track the view statistics of the videos or to add advertisements to the videos.
- Content ID scans about 400 years of video daily.
- It scans 146,000 hours of video per minute.
- More than about 5,000 YouTube partners do use Content ID which include the major US network broadcasters, renowned movie studios as well as big record labels.
So there you have it!
Some of the top facts about Youtube to really get you to feel confident about your time invested in sharing your videos. It’s definitely one place you don’t want to leave out in sharing your content.